Keeping food fresh is an important skill for any homemaker.
I’m sure I’m not the only one who feels terribly guilty about throwing away food I’ve allowed to spoil. I overestimate the amount of produce we can use. Something gets pushed to the back of the refrigerator. We end up eating out more nights than I had anticipated. There are any number of reasons this happens.
I also do my major grocery shopping once a month so it’s really important for me to be able to keep produce fresh as long as possible. Here are 5 of my favorite tips:
Keeping Food Fresh
1. Keeping Lettuce Fresh With This One Tip by A Modern Homestead
2. A Vintage Trick For Storing Lemons by Making It Modern
(note: This website is no longer online. Briefly, this tip involves storing lemons in a large glass jar covered with water.)
3. The Best Way to Store Celery by the kitchn
4. Make Berries Last Longer by Pulling Curls
5. How to Store Fresh Asparagus by Urban Strawberries
In addition to these handy tricks and tips, there are other strategies for reducing food waste. Take a look at this excellent post on the subject:
Have you tried any of these tips? What are YOUR favorite food-saving tips? Leave me a comment and if you’ve written a blog post on this topic I’d love to see it. Leave me a link.