A couple of years ago we were invited to dinner at the home of friends in New Orleans. Del had been a chef at one time so I was eager to taste his lasagna. Amongst the other guests was a vegetarian so he also made a butternut squash risotto, using homemade vegetable broth rather than the usual chicken broth. The lasagna was fantastic but it was the risotto that blew me away. I intended to get his recipe but sadly, he passed away not long ago.
I don’t know how close it is to Del’s recipe but I did find one online and gave it a try recently. It was delicious and something I’ll certainly make again.
- approx. 2 cups cooked butternut squash (my cooking method below)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion (or half a regular one), minced
- 1 cup Arborio rice (I used organic)
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 5 cups hot stock (chicken, vegetable or made with Not-Chick’n cubes)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste