Remember that old cabbage soup diet plan? Seven days of very specific food choices plus all the cabbage soup you want. Chances are if you are over 40 you gave it a try at some point. I’m not sure I ever made it past day three, though.
And then there’s the Magical Leek Soup from Mireille Guiliano who wrote French Women Don’t Get Fat. This soup is to be eaten exclusively for an entire weekend as a kickstart to a healthy eating plan. Obviously low in calories, leeks are also a mild diuretic so it’s likely you’ll experience quick result on the scale Monday morning.
I happen to really like soup, especially for lunch during cold weather, so I decided to use these two recipes as inspiration for my own diet soup.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting Life With Dee!
Cabbage Leek Diet Soup ~ An Instant Pot Recipe
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 head cabbage, chopped
- 3-4 ribs of celery, diced
- 2-3 leeks, carefully cleaned and chopped
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2-3 carrots, diced
- 2/3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- black pepper to taste
- 2 or 3 cups of mixed salad greens
- Heat coconut oil on sauté setting in Instant Pot.
- Add prepared vegetables (except salad greens) one at a time, starting with carrots, stirring well after each addition.
- Save garlic for last so it doesn't burn.
- Season with Italian seasoning, Creole seasoning and black pepper.
- Add broth.
- Close vent and cook 20 minutes on soup setting.
- When done, open vent and remove lid.
- Add salad greens, stir well and let sit a few minutes to wilt.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
This may not be the type of soup you’d serve your family as a main course, although topped with a handful of grated cheese and a hunk of fresh bread it might suffice. But it makes a tasty, low calorie lunch if you’re watching your calories.
Do you have any favorite low calorie recipes? I’d like to create a section for low or reduced calorie recipes here on Life With Dee. Leave me a comment!