I’m no fan of cold weather except when it comes to soup or “stoup” (somewhere between soup and stew). The other night I pulled out my Instant Pot and made this delicious cabbage, potatoes and sausage dish which we all loved.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting Life With Dee!
One of the things I love about making soups or stews in the Instant Pot rather than stovetop is that I can set it and leave it alone. Don’t get me wrong…sometimes I enjoy hanging out in the kitchen stirring and piddling about, maybe enjoying a glass of wine as I cook. But there are days when I have other things to do – or maybe just want to read and drink tea in the library – and it’s nice to know that dinner is cooking away on its own without further attention from me.
This particular cabbage dish is easy, economical, and very hearty. It also makes great leftovers so while you can definitely cut this recipe in half, don’t hesitate to make the full amount if you have the means of heating up leftovers for lunch.
I made it with smoked sausage but it would also be good with bacon or leftover ham. You can also make a vegetarian version by omitting the meat and using vegetable broth. A couple of drops of Liquid Smoke could be added to give it a smoky, meaty flavor if desired.
I served it over cooked Amish egg noodles and sprinkled a little grated cheese and freshly ground pepper on top. A piece of toasted baguette and really good butter is all you need to complete this meal.
Cabbage, Potatoes and Sausage
an Instant Pot recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package smoked sausage, cut in one inch pieces
- 1 diced onion
- 4-6 small potatoes, peeled and cut in one inch chunks
- 1 small head of cabbage, chopped
- 1 quart chicken broth
- black pepper, Creole seasoning
- Set Instant Pot to saute setting and add oil.
- When oil starts to shimmer add smoked sausage.
- Cook about two minutes then add onion.
- Continue to cook a few more minutes until onion is translucent and just starting to brown in a few places.
- Pour in chicken broth and stir to loosen any browned bits.
- Add cut up potatoes.
- Close lid making sure vent is closed.
- Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes.
- Release pressure, open lid, add chopped cabbage, and stir well.
- Close lid, again making sure vent is closed.
- Cook on high 5 more minutes.
- Release pressure, open lid, season to taste with freshly ground black pepper and Creole seasoning.
Links to my other Instant Pot recipes:
Instant Pot Cookbooks