Years ago I came up with this recipe which my clever son named “Croc Moroc”. I made it in my Crockpot, hence the name. These days I use the slow cook setting on my Instant Pot. But any way you cook it, Moroccan Chicken is a winner.
- 6 chicken thighs
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 bell peppers (red, green, orange or any combination) - cut in 1-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup raisins
- Season chicken with garlic salt and black pepper.
- Brown chicken in Instant Pot on sauté setting.
- Move chicken to side or put on plate and lightly brown onions.
- Place chicken over onions and scatter bell peppers and garlic on top.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon, ginger, cumin and cayenne.
- Pour tomato paste, tomato sauce, chicken broth and water over chicken and vegetables.
- Sprinkle raisins on top.
- Cook for 4 hours on slow cooker setting of Instant Pot.
- Serve over steamed rice.
I serve this over steamed rice with a dollop of plain yogurt on top. You could also serve it “as is” or over potatoes or other grains.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting Life With Dee!
Other Instant Pot recipes:
This post is linked up at Miz Helen’s Full Plate Thursday: