A good day begins the night before. I think we all know this. A little preparation the night before makes our morning less frantic and much more likely to be the beginning of a good and productive day. Taken to the next level, creating an evening ritual finishes our day on a pleasant note, as well as setting ourselves up for the next day.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
My evenings generally look like this:
- The kitchen is cleaned right after dinner.
- I make myself (and David, if he wants one) a cup of tea or sometimes pour a glass of wine.
- I go to our library where I often listen to an album or two on the stereo while reading a book or checking Facebook on my phone.
- Before going upstairs to bed I feed the cats, turn off the light in the aquarium, straighten up afghans and pillows on sofas, turn off all lights downstairs and adjust the thermostat.
This is where my routine breaks down. If I haven’t turned off my computer before my evening teatime, I’m way too likely to get sucked into Facebook or email or working on something for this blog. I’m also in a bad habit of looking at my phone when I get in bed. And of course, we stay up WAY too late virtually every night.
This is why I am revamping my bedtime routine and intentionally creating an evening ritual. This is what I am striving toward:
- Around 8:30 or 9:00 p.m. – take shower, put on gown and robe
- Remove all the decorative pillows from the bed, turn back the covers, spray pillows with lavender linen spray, turn on bedside lamp, turn OFF computer. Plug in phone to recharge on opposite side of room from bed.
- Make hot tea or pour a glass of wine.
- Go to library or front porch if the weather is nice.
- Turn on some music.
- Make to-do list for the next day.
- Journal. This is something I’ve been wanting to do for a long time. I think I’ll try the 5 Minute Journal.
Before going upstairs to bed I’ll straighten things up, feed cats, turn off lights and adjust thermostat like I am already in the habit of. Once upstairs I will:
- Brush my teeth
- Moisturize my face
- Take medications
- Get in bed
- Turn off the lights no later than 11:30 p.m.
At least, that’s the current plan! This morning I purchased Crystal Paine’s e-course, Make Over Your Evenings. I’ve done her Make Over Your Mornings course already and was very impressed. I plan to go through it again soon. I was pretty excited to hear that she would be doing an evening version because I really do think that’s the key to a productive day. I know I’m not getting enough sleep and it’s affecting my productivity. By focusing on the creation of an evening routine, including pleasant rituals such as a cup of tea, listening to music and journaling, I’m hopeful that I can get my days into alignment with my goal of creating a beautiful life.
The Make Over Your Evenings course includes a PDF workbook and 14 daily videos for just $17 and I’m really excited to start the course. In fact, as soon as I finish this blog post I’m going to watch the first video. If you’d like to do this course, too, just click on the graphic below for more information and a link to purchase.
And if you’re interested in the Make Over Your Mornings course, here is the link:
So tell me, do you have an evening routine or ritual? If so, I’d love to hear about it. Leave me a comment and tell me all about it.