- 1 bag lentils
- 1 pound fresh spinach
- 1 pound fresh escarole
- 1 large onion
- fresh garlic
- Soak the lentils overnight and rinse.
- Put lentils in large pot with 6 cups water and begin to simmer. Season to your own taste, I use salt, pepper, oregano and basil.
- Coat a large frying pan with olive oil and a drop more.
- Finely dice at least 3 full heads of fresh garlic (I use 4) (the garlic melts down as it cooks)
- Chop celery, onion and mushrooms and throw all into frying pan and brown it all up, add all to the simmering pot of lentils.
- Add your spinach, escarole and carrots. Cover and simmer for at least 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
Cooking longer is fine, when the lentils are soft you are good to go.
To make this more of a hearty stew instead of soup, about 30 minutes before you are done, add in package of orzo noodles.