1 stick butter, room temperature
1 1/4 C. sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
3/4 C. flour
1 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1/2 C. unsweetened cocoa powder, best cocoa powder you can afford makes a huge difference
1/2 C. whole milk
1 t. vanilla
Method: Preheat oven to 375 degrees, then turn it down to 350 just prior to baking.
1. Beat the butter with an electric mixer until it is soft, then add sugar. Beat about 3 minutes.
2. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until they are well combined.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients and whisk them incorporate them.
4. Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the butter and sugar and beat it just to combine. Add 1/2 of the liquids (milk and vanilla), scrape down bowl and beat to combine. Continue adding the dry and wet ingredients alternately making sure you END WITH THE DRY.
5. Fill muffin tins 2/3’s of the way and bake for about 20-22 minutes. Allow to cool, then frost.
For frosting I use one 8 oz. container of heavy whipping cream, 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy.
Yield: 12-14 cupcakes
This recipe and photo first appeared in Kat Murray’s personal blog which she no longer maintains. She describes herself as “a long time reader/fan of Dee’s Kitchen and Retro Housewife.” Thank you for sharing this recipe, Kat. Now I’m craving some cupcakes. 🙂
Note: “Retro Housewife” refers to my daughter’s blog, The Retro Housewife Goes Green.