Have you ever heard of a “salad cake”? I hadn’t either until Victoria Giang sent me this recipe. Doesn’t it look gorgeous?
Layered Salad Cake with Chicken Breast… Simple!
by Victoria Giang
Have you ever felt enthusiastic about trying some recipe salad you saw on the Internet, but then as soon as you saw the ‘directions’ section, you were like “nah, I ain’t got no time for that!”. Been there, done that!
Seriously, I bet you have seen dozens of cool-looking salad recipes, but never made any of them just because… you were lazy! And you ended up making some dull-looking salad (I’m not saying it wasn’t delicious, just… you didn’t truly impress anyone with it!). But in order to surprise a special guest at your home (whether it’s your girlfriend, boyfriend or boss!), you surely want to get more creative than just throwing all the ingredients into a bowl, not caring about how the salad looks. And did you know that if a meal looks good, it also tastes good? That’s a psychological trick, so why not take advantage of it?
The following layered salad cake recipe is a wonderful choice if you:
- Want to impress your guests (your girlfriend will think you’re a great chef for making such a masterpiece)
- Want to eat a super healthy salad and not feel guilty after devouring it
- Don’t want to spend more than 45 minutes to make a cool-looking salad
- Don’t want to run to the nearest grocery store to get lettuce, Swiss chard, some turnips or whatever, as you’ll most likely find all the ingredients in your fridge .
It will take you about 45 minutes to make this awesome layered salad cake.
Serving size: 1
- Chicken breast – 200 g (7 ounces)
- Carrot – 1
- White mushrooms – 100 g (3.5 ounces)
- Onion – 1
- Pickles – 2
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Olive oil for frying
- Mayo – 2 tbsp (you can replace mayo with fat-free sour cream to satisfy your weight-loss goals)
- Pepper to taste
1. Boil the chicken breast for 20 minutes and then let it cool in its own broth while you’re doing other steps of this instruction (this way the chicken will be softer and more delicate).
2. While the chicken is boiling, peel the mushrooms, chop into medium pieces and fry them in a little bit of olive oil (around 10-15 minutes). Now take the fried mushrooms out and put them on a plate to cool.
3. While the chicken is still boiling, peel and grate the carrot. Now fry the carrot in olive oil for about 3-5 minutes. Place it on a separate plate.
4. Given that the chicken breast is done boiling by now, chop it into small cubes.
5. Peel the onion and chop it into small pieces. Now fry it until golden (no more than 1 minute) and add more olive oil if necessary. Place on a separate plate.
6. Peel the garlic and chop it into small pieces. Throw it on the plate with the hot onion, and stir it up!
7. Grate the pickles on a separate plate.
Now split the salad into layers and put mayo (or sour cream) and a little bit of pepper as a filling between each layer:
1. Chopped chicken breast
2. Mayo (sour cream)
3. Fried, grated carrots
4. Mayo (sour cream)
5. Fried, chopped mushrooms
6. Mayo (sour cream)
7. Fried, chopped onions and garlic
8. Mayo (sour cream)
9. Grated pickles
That’s it! You have your layered salad-cake that not only tastes delicious but is also super healthy and rich in all kinds of nutrients!
You can read more about salad cakes here.