As I said, Mondays are a good day for red beans and rice. It’s traditionally the day women devoted to laundry which used to be a pretty onerous chore, thus the need for an easy dinner. Mondays are also my big laundry day (sheets and catching up from the weekend), as well as the day I do some major cleaning and other chores. I also have a meeting at 6 p.m. tonight so I need a meal that I can pull together quickly when I get home between 7 and 7:30. The last time I made red beans I froze some so I pulled out the container last night and put in the refrigerator to thaw. We had a big Mardi Gras party Saturday for which I made two big pots of gumbo. We consumed all but about a cup or less of that but I do have leftover rice. That means dinner tonight will be a breeze.
- red beans and rice (for David)
- frozen veggies over rice, topped with cheese (for me – David LOVES red beans so I’m saving part of them for his lunch Tuesday.)
- French bread (we have a couple of slices left from the party)
- homemade pancakes (or maybe waffles)
- bacon (Applegate Farms natural, uncured, nitrate-free)
- fruit smoothies
- baked potatoes
- maybe some type of dessert
What’s on your menu this week? Any special meal plans for Mardi Gras and/or Valentine’s Day?