Smothered pork chops are a favorite around here and I got to wondering if I could make them in the Instant Pot with frozen pork chops. It turns out…yes, you can!
- 4 extra thick boneless pork chops (frozen)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour, plus enough to coat pork chops
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- salt, pepper, garlic salt, seasoned salt, Creole seasoning (according to taste)
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in Instant Pot on saute.
- Season pork chops well on both sides and sprinkle with flour.
- Brown pork chops in hot oil then remove from Instant Pot.
- Put sliced onions in Instant Pot and cook until lightly browned (add more oil if necessary).
- Deglaze pot with red wine, thoroughly scraping bottom of pot to get up all the browned bits.
- Put browned pork chops on top of onions.
- Pour chicken broth over pork chops.
- Drizzle pork chops with worchestershire sauce.
- Place lid on Instant Pot, close vent and set for 30 minutes on meat setting.
- Allow to vent naturally.
- Remove pork chops to plate and cover to keep warm.
- Return Instant Pot to saute.
- Mix 1 tablespoon flour with 3 tablespoons cold water until completely smooth.
- Pour into bubbling drippings, stirring constantly until gravy thickens.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Place pork chop alongside or on cooked white rice and pour gravy over to serve.
Seasoned and floured…ready to brown:
Back in the Instant Pot, ready to cook:
The pork chops are done, nice and tender:
Thickening the gravy:
Update: I was honored to be selected for Miz Helen’s “Full Plate Thursday”!
Miz Helen’s Country Cottage
More Instant Pot recipes you might enjoy:
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting Life With Dee!