Taco Chicken is an easy weeknight recipe and don’t we all need more of those? I like recipes that use simple ingredients I tend to have on hand. Taco Chicken is also easily adaptable to your family’s taste. You can adjust the spiciness by changing the amount of taco seasoning or using salsa instead of tomato paste. Feel free to top it with anything you happen to like on tacos – black olives, sliced avocado, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes. I used sliced green onions and a dollop of sour cream because that’s what I happened to have on hand.
I like to serve it with rice, a green salad and tortilla chips with salsa. Black beans would be another good side dish.
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (I make my own - super easy!)
- black pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste (or salsa)
- 4 teaspoons diced green chiles
- 1 cup cheese, grated
- green onions, sliced
- sour cream (opt.)
- Pour olive oil in baking dish.
- Place chicken breasts in dish, turning to coat in oil.
- Season with taco seasoning and black pepper.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and spread about 1 tablespoon tomato sauce on each chicken breast.
- Top each with a spoonful of diced green chiles.
- Return to oven and continue to bake uncovered until chicken is just done and juices run clear.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and broil a couple of minutes until cheese is melted.
- Top with sliced green onions and a dollop of sour cream.