I love main dish/starch/vegetable/salad type meals but sometimes you just need a quick, one-dish dinner. Taco Frito Salad to the rescue! You can whip this up in about 15 minutes or less and cleanup is minimal – another plus for busy nights.
It’s also quite versatile. The version here is vegetarian but you could easily add or substitute ground beef or chicken. You can also add or substitute anything else you like on tacos in order to suit your family’s tastes.
I made this last night and we both really enjoyed it. The quantities in this recipe made enough for both of us to have seconds, plus some leftovers for my lunch (that’s why I don’t add the Fritos to the mix so they don’t get soggy).
Taco Frito Salad
- 1/2 large head of lettuce, washed, dried and torn in bite-size pieces
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tomato, diced (or large handful grape tomatoes, cut in half)
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced (red, green, yellow, or combination)
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2-3 teaspoons taco seasoning (or combo of garlic powder, chili powder, cumin)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup ranch dressing
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar, grated
- In large bowl, place drained beans, green onions, bell pepper and taco seasoning. Mix well.
- Add lettuce, tomato and about 2/3 of the grated cheese. Toss lightly.
- In small bowl combine sour cream, ranch dressing and salsa.
- Add dressing to other ingredients and toss to combine well.
- To serve, place a couple of handfuls of Fritos in bowl or on plate. Add salad and top with grated cheese.
- Options: Add cooked, seasoned ground beef or cooked chicken in place of beans. May also add sliced black olives, drained green chilies, and/or hot sauce.
I’ll definitely be adding this one to my list of quick and easy weekday meals!
This post may contain affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read more here.
This post is linked up at Miz Helen’s Full Plate Thursday. Check out all the delicious recipes!