A good day begins the night before. Imagine waking up feeling rested, your house in order and everything ready to begin your day. Sound impossible? With a good before bed routine you can start each day on the right foot. That doesn’t mean everything will go perfectly but at least you’ll be off to a good start!
This post may contain affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read more here.
Before Bed Routine
After a full day it’s all too easy to flop down on the sofa and binge Netflix until, bleary-eyed, you stumble to bed too late to do much more than brush your teeth. Be honest…you’ve done it, too. And then you wake up to a messy house, dirty dishes in the sink and no idea where your car keys are.
But what if you had a simple before bed routine that set you up for success in the morning?
Imagine the scene:
You get out of bed the first time the alarm goes off because you got enough sleep. Your clothes for the day are laid out and ready to wear – no last minute ironing or a search for matching shoes. The kitchen is clean and the coffee maker ready to go. Everyone’s needed items for the day are ready by the door. The morning goes smoothly because you prepared the night before.
Creating Your Own Before Bed Routine
The FlyLady recommends the following for a basic evening routine:
- Do the dishes and clean the kitchen. Do this right after dinner. The whole family can help!
- Take a shower or bath. If you prefer to shower in the morning, wash your hands and face, then get into your pajamas or nightgown and robe.
- Choose your clothes for the next day. Check your calendar and the weather to help you in your selection.
- Take a few minutes to tidy up.
- Relax. Watch television, read, enjoy a hobby, etc.
- Go to bed on time. This means actually deciding on a bedtime, not just going to bed when you can’t stay awake any longer.
You can read more about her personal routine here:
My Before Bed Routine
Note: This is my ideal, not what always happens. 😉
- David and I always do the dishes together immediately after dinner. I also wipe down the stove and countertops. (This one IS a non-negotiable for me.)
- A final check of email and social media notifications for my blog and work-related accounts.
- Go upstairs to our bedroom, turn on the a/c unit in our room (if it’s summertime), close the drapes and turn down the bed.
- Take a shower, brush my teeth, skin care and perfume.
- Lay out clothes for the next day.
- If anything needs to be tidied up or put away, I take a moment to do so.
- Retire to our library to read, do a Duolingo lesson or two, watch YouTube or a show on one of the streaming services.
- Go to bed in time to do my daily crossword puzzle apps and then watch a 30 minute show with David. Currently, we are watching Father Knows Best.
- Read from my Kindle.
- Lights out before midnight. Eleven would be better and I’m working toward that.
Your before bed routine doesn’t have to look exactly like mine or The FlyLady’s. Decide what makes sense for you and your lifestyle. I don’t work outside the home and my children are grown so my routine doesn’t include packing lunches or making sure backpacks or briefcases are ready to go.
Begin by asking yourself what you could do at night that would make your morning more pleasant.
Consider being intentional about your evening leisure time.
And perhaps most important of all, determine how many hours of sleep you need and go to bed in time to get those hours. That’s the part I struggle with the most!
What about you? Do you have a before bed routine? If not, consider trying a simple routine for a week and see what happens.
You may also enjoy…