A good grilled cheese sandwich is the ultimate comfort food. I mean…bread…butter…CHEESE! What could be better?
My “Three Cheese Grilled Cheese with Caramelized Onions”, that’s what.
Dee’s Three Cheese Grilled Cheese with Caramelized Onions
A regular, three-ingredient grilled cheese sandwich is perfectly adequate for a simple lunch. Bread, cheese, butter. Simple and delicious.
However, if you want to elevate the humble grilled cheese sandwich to something worthy of dinner, take a look at this:
- 4 large slices of sourdough bread
- 1 stick butter
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 slices smoked gouda
- 2 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup of grated cheddar cheese
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Add thinly sliced onions and cook until translucent, stirring often.
- Add brown sugar and continue cooking until onions are caramelized, being careful not to let them burn. Set aside.
- Soften the remaining butter and spread on one side of each slice of bread being sure to cover each slice all the way to the edges.
- Heat cast iron skillet or griddle on medium heat and brush a bit of butter over the surface.
- Place slice of bread, buttered side down, on skillet.
- Place two pieces of sliced smoked gouda side by side on bread. (If you are using a sandwich-size loaf you'll only need one but I use a large, round loaf of sourdough.)
- Sprinkle with crumbled blue cheese.
- Spoon caramelize onions over blue cheese.
- Sprinkle with grated cheddar.
- Place second slice of bread on top, buttered side up.
- Cook until bottom slice of bread is evenly browned, flip and brown the other side.
- Repeat for second sandwich or do both at the same time if you have room in your skillet or have a griddle.
- Recipe serves two generously.
Add a bowl of Homemade Tomato Soup or a salad and you’ve got an easy yet delicious dinner.
The salad shown in these photos consists of iceberg and baby spinach washed and spun dry. Place in large salad bowl. Add several fresh strawberries, sliced, and a handful of fresh blackberries (substitute blueberries if you can’t get blackberries). Pour poppyseed dressing over and toss until lettuce is well-coated.
Disclosure: This is an affiliate link.
For more delicious grilled cheese recipes check out this free download: