When I was a kid my mom was given a cake recipe that became a staple of my childhood. One of my dad’s cousins managed a Pepsi plant in Colorado and his wife gave my mom a recipe for a chocolate Pepsi Cake. I have no idea how many of these cakes my mom has made over the years. And I made several myself as a teenager.
It’s been years since I’ve had Pepsi cake so I decided to make one and share the recipe here on the blog.
This post may contain affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read more here.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 5 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup Pepsi
- 1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- Combine all ingredients except Pepsi and marshmallows.
- Mix at low speed.
- Add Pepsi and blend well.
- Stir in marshmallows.
- Pour batter into greased 9x13 cake pan.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool and ice with Pepsi Icing.
1. Combine 1/2 cup softened butter, 3 tablespoons cocoa powder and 1/3 cup of Pepsi.
2. Beat until smooth.
3. Add 4 cups of powdered sugar, a little at a time, beating well until icing is smooth.
In later years my mom would sometimes do a shortcut version. She would use a Duncan Heinz chocolate cake mix and add marshmallows to it then frost with Pepsi Icing. But obviously the made-from-scratch version is better.
What is your favorite chocolate cake recipe? While I do like Pepsi Cake, my favorite is: