Do you love chicken and waffles as much as I do? There is just something about that combination of sweet and savory. And when you add a little maple flavored whiskey to the gravy? Well, it just takes chicken and waffles to a whole new level.
- 8-10 chicken tenders
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil (or whatever you like to fry with)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons seasoned flour (leftover from dredging chicken)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup maple flavored whiskey
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- salt, pepper, cayenne to taste
- Use your favorite waffle batter recipe but substitute brown sugar for white, increase vanilla to one teaspoon, and add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Cook waffles and keep warm.
- Heat coconut oil in skillet over medium high heat.
- Mix 1/2 cup flour with garlic salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Dredge chicken tenders in flour mixture and place in skillet.
- Cook until chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Remove from skillet and keep warm.
- In the same skillet over medium heat melt butter.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the seasoned flour leftover from dredging chicken.
- Cook about 1-2 minutes stirring constantly.
- Slowly add chicken broth while stirring.
- Add heavy cream and stir to combine.
- Add whiskey, stirring well and cook until gravy has thickened.
- Add maple syrup.
- Taste and add salt, pepper and/or cayenne if needed to suit your taste.
- Place chicken tenders on waffles, pour gravy over, and drizzle with more maple syrup.
I like to use my cast iron skillet but you can use any heavy skillet.
I meant to make a fruit salad to go with this but by the time I got everything ready I changed my mind. I had a few blackberries and some orange juice in the fridge. Along with a cup of freshly brewed coffee, I decided that was good enough.
Here’s a closeup of the deliciousness:
We aren’t going to discuss the calorie count. Just think of it as dinner and dessert all in one.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting Life With Dee!