I wish I knew where I got this recipe so I could give proper credit but I’ve had it in my email recipe file for ages. I finally got around to trying it last night and it’s a keeper. Slow cooker recipes are very helpful on hot summer days. And it’s especially nice to not have to cook after being out of the home much of the day as I was yesterday. Here is the original recipe, along with my adaptations and comments:
- one large chicken cut into serving pieces (I used organic boneless chicken breasts.)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup of vinegar (I used organic apple cider vinegar.)
- 1/4 cup Sprite or 7-up (I made some lemon-lime soda in my soda maker.)
- 2-3 tablespoons minced garlic (I used about a tablespoon of dried, sliced garlic.)
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce (I used organic Tamari sauce)
- 1 teaspoon of pepper – black or cayenne (I used a combination.)
- Place chicken in crockpot.
- Mix all remaining ingredients and pour over chicken.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Serve over rice or noodles. (I served over organic brown rice.)
- You can thicken the juices after cooking with a little cornstarch. (I didn’t find this to be necessary.)
This smelled wonderful and tasted good, too!