Blueberry Sponge Cake
(Adapted from Better Homes and Garden’s Cookbook)
by Lisa Sharp
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter
1 package of thawed frozen blueberries
powdered sugar for dusting
- Allow eggs to come to room temperature (about 30 minutes). While you have those out grease a 9x9x2 inch baking pan; set aside. Stir together flour and baking powder; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat eggs with an electric mixer on high speed about 4 minutes or until thick. Gradually add sugar while beating eggs at medium speed for about 4 more minutes or light and fluffy. Add in the flour and mix until combined.
- In a small sauce pan heat and stir milk and butter until butter melts. Add to batter and combine. Pour into your prepared pan.
- Bake at 350′ for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- Once the cake is cool dust with powdered sugar and top with blueberries.
This cake is low in fat and not overly sweet. The blueberries also add a bit of nutrition so you can feel a little less guilty about eating it. If you don’t like blueberries you can use any berry you like.
Lisa Sharp blogs at Retro Housewife Goes Green. She’s also my lovely daughter.