- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green, red, or yellow bell pepper (or any combination), diced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 64 oz. low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 – 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 – 15.5 oz. can kidney or red beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small yellow squash, sliced into rounds, then sliced in half
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 4 cup cooked, cubed or shredded chicken
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ tablespoon each cumin and chili powder
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
In a Dutch oven, heat extra-virgin olive oil, then add celery, onion,
peppers, and carrots. Saute´ for 8 minutes or until slightly tender.
Add minced garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add broth (yes, you
will need this much broth – the rice absorbs a lot of the broth) –
chicken, then add spices. Simmer on low for 1 hour.
Serve with hot cornbread.
(This recipe first shared here.)