I promised you a month of posts about organization and time management and then sort of dropped off the map. Sorry about that! I’ve been battling a stubborn asthma attack since the end of December and just haven’t had the mental band width to write coherently. I finally gave in and started steroids last night and I’m better today.
So, let’s get started on all the organization stuff I promised! I’ve implemented a new routine here at Chez Piercy that I’m really excited about – a weekly planning session with David. It takes so little to make me happy – ha!
This post may contain affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read more here.
My Weekly Planning Session
We started this Sunday afternoon and I was very pleased with how it went. Here’s how it works:
- We each get a beverage of our choice. David opted for coffee with Coole Swan (like Bailey’s Irish Cream but better). I, of course, had my usual Earl Grey tea with milk and sugar.
- We sat down at the kitchen table with our phones, my clipboard, and the week’s mail.
- We went over our schedules for the coming week. He had two meetings and a business trip. I’ve got three meetings, choir rehearsal and a doctor appointment. We are trying a phone app called Cozi. We can each enter our meetings and appointments, color code them and then have access to each other’s schedules. I’ll let you know in a few weeks if we like this app.
- We discussed our nonprofit foundation, HMA Foundation, and I made a list of tasks I need to do for it. We have an event coming up soon so there are several things I need to work on.
- We decided on a date night. It would be nice if it could be the same night each week but our crazy schedules just don’t allow that. This week Thursday works best. I have a meeting that night which should be over by 7 p.m. He’ll meet me in town afterwards.
- I decided on a menu for the week, taking into account our meetings, his travel schedule and our chosen date night.
- Finally, we sorted the week’s mail. I recently bought the lidded container you see in the photo below. Whenever either of us picks up the mail we take a quick look for anything urgent (we pay bills online, most with auto-draft, so we rarely have bills in the mail), then toss the rest in this box. We sorted through it all together, making a pile for him to take to work to shred (we need a new one at home), filing and otherwise dealing with it all. I know that many organizers recommend immediately handling mail each day when you bring it inside but that just never has seemed to work for us. I’m hopeful that by setting aside time to deal with it together we can stay on top of it. I’ll keep you posted!
And that’s it. We both agreed that it felt good to have a handle on the upcoming week. We each have irons in a lot of fires so it’s important to make sure we keep one another up-to-date on what’s going on. The only thing I think I’d like to add to this planning session is music. Maybe I need to create a special playlist just for this.
What do you think? Do you do something like this? Or do you have another way you keep up with your family’s schedule? How do you handle the daily mail? Leave me a comment. I’m always looking for ways to fine-tune things.
Note: I bought the box shown at Aldi for about $5. I tried to find something similar online for you but so far haven’t had any luck. Obviously you can use any container you like but this one is just the perfect size for us. Big enough to hold a week’s mail but not so big that we might be tempted to let things pile up longer. I’ll keep looking and if I find something similar I’ll add the link.
Clipboards (set of three)