A good sauce elevates a meal from ho-hum to yum-yum! This Creamy Tomato Wine Sauce is equally delicious on chicken or fish. You can also pour it over angel hair pasta or steamed rice for a tasty side dish.
Creamy Tomato Wine Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- salt and pepper to taste
- juice of one lemon
- zest of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon Herbs de Provence
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream
- Heat butter and olive oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Add red pepper flakes and cook one minute.
- Add tomatoes and garlic then cook about 10 minutes.
- Pour in wine, stir and cook until simmering.
- Add lemon juice, zest, salt, pepper and Herbs de Provence.
- Cook about 2-3 more minutes, stirring often.
- Add heavy cream and cook until mixture just starts to thicken - about 2-4 minutes - while stirring constantly.
- Serve over cooked chicken, fish, angel hair pasta or rice.
- Optional: Add a handful of red seedless grapes (cut in half) along with the tomatoes.
This easy-to-make sauce makes plain chicken or fish taste like something from a fine restaurant.
LWD tip: Keep boxed wines (one red and one white) in the fridge for delicious sauces without having to open a bottle. I enjoy a nice glass of wine with a meal sometimes but if David is on call and can’t have any I don’t like to open a bottle just for myself. Having boxed wine in the fridge means I can still make a wine-based sauce.
This post may contain affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read more here.