Keeping the plastic food containers organized has been the bane of my existence ever since I set up housekeeping. No matter how I organized, within a week or two the plastics cupboard was a huge mess all over again. I’ve heard enough others mention the issue that I know this wasn’t my problem alone. But I finally figured out a solution!
It’s so simple that I almost hesitate to mention it. What if everyone but me is already doing this? But if they are, I don’t see anyone sharing this tip. I feel an obligation to pass this along.
Step By Step to an Organized Plastics Cupboard
- Pull everything out of your plastics cupboard.
- Discard the trashy stuff. All those yogurt and cottage cheese containers? Out! You can keep two for sending leftovers home with a guest.
- Match up containers with their lids. If you have lids without containers or vice versa, get rid of them.
- Do you have too many? Not enough? Assess your needs and either donate some or buy a few new ones.
- Measure your cupboard. Depth and width.
- Purchase one or more shallow plastic storage boxes that will fit your space.
- Arrange food storage containers in the new storage box. You have two options. Either stack containers and lids separately or put lids on the containers and store them together. The first option looks neater and takes less space but I’ve opted for the second. It’s faster and easier to grab a storage container with its lid than to get each out separately.
- Place storage box full of containers back into the cupboard.
I have no idea why it took me so long to figure this out but it’s made my life so much easier. If I need a certain container I just pull out the storage box and know it will be in there rather than lurking in a back corner.
I no longer have to get down on my hands and knees to sort things out or find something. And trust me, when your knees hurt like mine, that’s a big plus.
Even if you just toss containers in willy nilly after washing, they are still contained and much easier to deal with. No more opening the door and experiencing a small avalanche.
You can easily pull it out and straighten things up now and then. Or not. That’s up to you.
Here is what my cupboard looked like just before I wrote this post:
The containers could use a bit of straightening up:
I pulled out the box and tidied it up in just a minute or two:
And that’s my tip for organizing plastic food containers. You’re welcome!
This post may contain affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read more here.
Need help decluttering?: